Ambrosia Deluxe Custard Review: Salted Caramel & Creamy Toffee


It's taken me a while, but finally I've got round to trying these new Ambrosia Deluxe Custards. It was the offer of two for £1 at Tesco that persuaded me...prior to this I hadn't fancied paying much more than that for two small pots! There was another variety in the range, a regular vanilla Deluxe custard but that didn't interest me when there's both Salted Caramel and Toffee on offer!

I must admit I do find it odd that they've included two similar flavours like toffee and caramel, I mean technically they're different to each other but they're both basically variations of sugar, butter and condensed milk. So what's the difference between them?

Deluxe Salted Caramel
Upon opening the lid for the Salted Caramel pot I was struck by the dark yellow colour in comparison to the Creamy Toffee version below, it's not so obvious in the pictures but it was definitely a lot darker.

It tasted delicious...there was a good strong salted caramel flavour, almost butterscotch-like but with a decent salty kick, which makes a change since most salted caramels are lacking in the salt department. They've got the balance just right here. The custard was very moreish and it didn't take me long to eat the whole pot...cold, I might add!

Deluxe Creamy Toffee 
The Creamy Toffee Deluxe had a much tamer flavour in comparison, it was tasty enough and very easy to eat, but next to the Salted Caramel it felt a bit redundant. I wouldn't really choose this instead if I were to buy these on offer again, I'd just buy but two of the Salted Caramel.

Overall, these are some nice custards, and definitely a tad more indulgent than the average custard, but to be honest I don't think the small size of the pots is worth it. It's nice to have caramel and toffee flavours but let's be real no one buys custard for that...even if it does have the "flavour du yesterday" (see what I did there?!) in it.

7 .5 out of 10.

Comments

  1. This has nothing to do with this review but you've seriously upped your game Butty! 29 reviews you put up in May.. 29!! That's some good going there, Sir! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks :) I'm making up for lost time...still loads more to come! xx

      Delete
  2. These do look good, imagine they would be nice on hot desserts - but think I'd want to wait for winter to try them,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review