New! Cadbury Eclairs Velvets Review


Last year I reviewed Milka Toffees Hazelnut Centres, a toffee containing a soft hazelnut filling coated in Milka chocolate which is available in Europe. It seems that Mondelez have used the exact same idea for these new Cadbury Eclairs Velvets, with the only difference being that they're coated in "Cadbury" milk chocolate.

I bought these for £1 at WH Smiths but you can find them in most shops for around the same price. They're described as "Caramels with liquid chocolate flavoured centres covered in milk chocolate (25%)". Opening the pack I have to say they had a very enticing, comforting "Cadbury" chocolate smell. Each toffee is plastic wrapped in a purple and yellow design.


Cutting one open I was met with a very familiar sight...


Yes, they look exactly the same as Milka Toffees with Hazelnut Centres! The main difference though is that these contain a slightly greater proportion of chocolate coating and a chocolate flavoured centre.

Taste-wise they were pleasant enough; the chocolate is sweet and creamy and the liquid centres provide a nice contrast to the chewy toffee...but the toffee is just too firm! They're described on the pack as "soft caramels" but in reality the toffee is hard, chewy and far from being soft.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed with these Cadbury Eclairs Velvets. They were advertised as being a "softer" alternative to regular Cadbury Eclairs but are far from it. I think they should have made them either fudge-like and melt-in-the-mouth or just filled them with gooey caramel.

RATING: 6 out of 10. 

Price: £1 in WH Smiths, Tesco etc.
Suitable for vegetarians?: Yes.
Allergy Information: Contains milk and soya. May contain nuts & wheat.
Nutrition (per sweet): 1.4g Fat, 3.4g Sugar, 4.5g Carbs, 30 Calories.

Have you tried Eclairs Velvets? What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

  1. I spotted these in Tesco Express last month and bought them. I was also disappointed with these because soft caramel was advertised on the packaging and I expected it to have the same consistency as the caramel in Cadbury Caramel bars but it was more like the toffee in original Eclairs. Also when I saw these, I thought of your review for the similar Milka product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a pack of these last month and the caramel was quite chewy and soft for me, they were quite moreish really, IMO. I think I prefer them to their harder equivalent. But that's my opinion anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kev, following your blog after finding your reply on Grocery Gems about the popcorn. Agree totally about these Velvets. I bought a pack this week took one and was totally disappointed. I ended up leaving them beside our sign in book at work in the hope folk would use them up. I hate waste but these are just toffees essentially. Cadburys seem to be losing the plot somewhat possibly driven by cost savings. Chocolate is what the do best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is ballshit, they are much softer and nicer than the normal eclairs...you have no idea of what ur talking about

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review