Wall's Funny Feet Ice Creams are back from the 80's! - Review


I've been on the lookout for Wall's Funny Feet Ice Creams for a while now. The Grocer ran a competition to "Bring back a brand" earlier in the year which included nostalgic products such as Trio biscuits, Nestlé Toffo, Cabana, Texan, Cresta lemonade, Spangles sweets, Fish & Chips crisps and Funny Feet. Funny Feet were the most popular, receiving almost 6,500 votes and so Wall's have decided to relaunch the ice creams in the UK. See the article HERE with The Grocer which explains how this all came about. There's also a Youtube video about the campaign here:



According to Wall's they will be marketed towards children and their parents who remember them from the 80's, and 10p from every purchase will be donated to Save The Children with the "Share a Smile, Help a Child" campaign.

80's advert for Funny Feet
Considering their apparent popularity in the 80's, and the fact that Wall's saw fit to bring them back again I was very curious to see what all the fuss is about, so when I heard they were available at Asda I dutifully made my way there to purchase a pack. I paid £2 for a box of 4 ice creams, which came to 160g in weight.

Opening the pack I was surprised to discover just how small the ice creams were! It made me wonder if they were this small in the 80's...?


Opening the wrapper I was met with a pale pink coloured foot-shaped ice cream. I cut into one just so you can see what it looks like inside...which is the same as on the outside!:


Taste-wise the ice cream was pleasant enough, but a little one-dimensional and without a particularly strong or distinctive strawberry flavour. It was creamy though and made for a nice snack. Looking at the ingredients I noticed it contains coconut oil, which gets a thumbs up from me since coconut oil is healthier than other oils often used in confectionery. It's a trend I'm noticing a lot more of and one that I hope continues!

Overall, these Wall's Funny Feet are pleasant enough ice creams, but aside from the unique shape I don't really see their appeal - must be a nostalgia thing! I'm not sure if they were this small in the 80's but they're a bit dinky as far as ice creams go nowadays. On that note I'm sure they'll be very suitable for young children.

Price: £2 at Asda. £2.50 at Sainsbury's or 2 boxes for £3.
Suitable for vegetarians?: Doesn't state.
Allergy Information: Contains milk & whey.
Nutrition (per ice cream): 70 Calories, 3g Fat, 8g Carbs (8g Sugars).

RATING: 6.5 out of 10. 

Were you a fan of Funny Feet in the 80's? What do you think of the relaunched version? Let me know in the comments!

For other campaigns to bring back retro products, please check out my friend Bring Back Banjo Chocolate Bar's Facebook Campaign...Banjo was a chocolate and peanut wafer bar made by Mars Foods in the 80's and definitely sounds worthy of being brought back! You can sign the petition for its return HERE.

Comments

  1. I used to love funny feet back in the day......those and Zaps! It really wouldn't surprise me if they were smaller, lets face it, most things are these days - look at how small Curly Wurly's are nowadays! Craziness!

    Emma
    (Dear Thirty)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh what were Zaps? Must admit I haven't had a Curly Wurly in ages, but then most snacks from my childhood are going downhill so I rarely bother these days!

      Delete
  2. Banjo!.......................LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. quite like this blast from the (80's) past Funny Feet Ice Cream. I am impressed that it isn't too high in calories! Mars should get in on the act with and bring back another 80s favourite of mine Banjo chocolate bar!

    ps Banjo had quite a few fans on the Grocer's Bring Back A Brand Campaign too!

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-Banjo-chocolate-bar/269555819831128#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the calorie content surprised me too! I suppose at least they are healthier for children unlike the new Wonka bars.

      I'm hopeful that The Grocer will do another campaign next year to bring back some other retro brands!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I remember these. I loved them back then. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are these available for purchase in the United States?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work at a foot doctors office and think it would be amazing to hand these out at events we have during the summer time

      Delete
  7. So - i got so excited when i saw these in my local Iceland today - remembering how they were one of my favourite ice creams as a child - & absolutely had to buy them! I am very sad to say they are nothing like they used to be!!!! They look different, taste different, and as you wondered, they are much smaller in size! Overall a complete let down! I had to google the original as wanted to confirm that i wasn't making my memory up - and no - sure enough they were made of a swirl of 2 different coloured ice creams, with a much bolder shape, AND also had a chocolate cap on the big toe!! Very disappointed - but nevermind! Bit of nostalgia is always good! One thing i would LOVE to see back on the shelves - is the '5,4,3,2,1' chocolate bar!!!!! They were my absolute fave - BRING THEM BACK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the "5,4,3,2,1" chocolate bar like, Christine?

      Delete
  8. Minor nitpick on the packaging: "10p/12 cent" should read "10p/12c"; that would save a lot of space. I don't live in Ireland BTW.
    - Josep

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles Salted Egg Review

Cadbury Dream Ice Creams - back for Summer! (UK)

Asda Tinned Banana Blossom Review